Thursday, October 25, 2012

Lesson 4

Lesson 4 consisted of two parts: the beloved articles and an article about dashes.

As I have already mentioned, the journey in one thousand miles starts with the first step (my favorite proverb, by the way). So the journey has started, the steps have been done and I'm quite glad about it. To be serious, I feel much more confident with general rules, but tricky points still need to be practiced more. Thus, I'll be glad to have more practice.

It's surprising how just after being introduced to the use of dashes in poems by Emily Dickinson I get  the article "Mad dash". What a coincidence. =)

Vocabulary
versatile
 versatile performer
 The potato is a versatile vegetable.
 My own sentences:
 Derivative is a versatile tool in calculus.
compel (force)
render (express)
stanza (verse)
jiggy
haphazard (not planned or organized)


Question: in the sentence:
 When using dashes this way, limit yourself to one pair per sentence.
I don't really like the part "when using". I'd rather say:
  When one uses...
  When you use...
  When you are using...
  When dashes are used...
What is the grammar here?

Now, about a burst of energy given to a writing piece. A good question to develop. Here is my list:
- quotes (including proverbs, parts of poems...);
- dashes=) or some other unusual punctuation;
- descriptive language (expressive adjectives, for instance);
- occasionalisms (the i'vejustinventedit words);
- the usual staff: metaphors, hyperboles, comparisons;
- grammar tools: inversion, emphasis;
- sentence structure (short sentences);
- usage of symbols (which I hate);
- open-ended questions;
- jokes;
- personalizing it; 
- something else...

H/T 1) An energetic piece of writing
2) Lexicology
3) Record myself

P. S. I've read "A cat in the rain".




1 comment:

  1. It is often possible to leave out the subject after when (especially when it means 'whenever'):
    e.g. Don't forget to signal when turning right.

    ReplyDelete